International Recipe: Vegan Mexican Black Bean Soup
This protein packed vegan dish pack a flavorful punch from spicy jalapeno and earthy cumin. Black beans offer an easily utilized vegan protein option, and they’re also full of digestion enhancing fiber. Sweet potatoes provide beta carotene and healthy fiber, and cilantro boosts your body’s ability to detox heavy metals. Make this dish with whatever vegetables you have on hand. In the summer, the addition of sweet corn would be delicious. Feel free to top your soup with avocado, hot sauce, or sour cream.
Total Time: 45 minutes (15 minutes hands on)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno (deseeded if you want a mild taste)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 zucchini, diced
- Juice of 1-2 limes, to taste
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Chopped cilantro, to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, and oregano, and sauté for 5-6 minutes, until the onion is slightly softened and caramelized.
- Add the sweet potato, black beans, and vegetable broth, and stir well to combine. Increase the heat and bring the soup up to a simmer, and cook for 20-25 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender, and the broth has reduced slightly. In the last 10 minutes, add the zucchini.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and add the fresh lime juice and cilantro just before serving. Enjoy!