Best Travel-sized Fitness Gear2 min read
It’s difficult to stick with an exercise regimen away from home. While we recommended some easy-to-do hotel room exercises not too long ago, we understand that they might not be enough—especially for those committed to weight training.
Although selecting a hotel with a gym is the best option, it’s not always feasible. Fortunately, there are a variety of suitcase-friendly fitness items that will allow you to travel without skipping an exercise-beat. Here are some that are totally worth the investment:
- Resistance Bands: Not only do these fit efficiently in your luggage, but they can also substitute for dumbbells. Resistance bands are great for a variety of exercises, such as arm curls, overhead presses, pull ups and downs, chest and shoulder exercises, and more. To choose the right band, select one with a resistance appropriate to your strength and the exercises you’ll be doing. The thicker the band, the more strength required to stretch it.
- Blow-up Exercise Ball and Pump: The ball folds easily into your bag and doesn’t take long to inflate, allowing you to complete your abdominal workout, as well as arm and leg repetitions.
- Lightweight Yoga Mat: Yoga mats come in a variety of styles and sizes; opt for one that is lightweight and folds easily, which is perfect for traveling.
- Balance Disc: A great alternative to the balance ball, this disc is also perfect for those abdominal exercises.
- Weighted Jump Rope: As long as you clear enough space in your hotel room, you’ll be able to strengthen your entire lower body and even get a little cardio workout from jumping.
- Water-Filled Dumbbells: These dumbbells are similar to the inflatable exercise ball, but instead of filling them up with air, all you need is water from the sink. An additional benefit is that you can adjust weight by monitoring the amount of water you fill them with.
- Ankle Weights: If swimming is your exercise of choice, throw on a pair of ankle weights to provide some extra strength training and boost your cardio workout.
- Download an Exercise App: Whether you’re into yoga, Pilates or running, there’s an app for you. These are great for keeping up with a yoga routine, or monitoring your run in a new place. Another great perk of the running apps is that they feature a GPS function so you won’t get lost.