Healthy International Recipe: Indonesian Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng)2 min read
Indonesian fried rice, like most national dishes, comes in infinite variations and types. Yet in most of these variations, a few ingredients remain constant. Shallots, shrimp paste, day old rice, and fried eggs come together, seasoned with heady chili peppers and deeply umami soy sauce, to make a super simple and immensely satisfying comfort food that easily adapts to whatever ingredients you have on hand. I’ve made the traditional recipe a touch healthier, swapping in brown rice and coconut oil for the usual white rice and canola oil. Coconut oil is a heart healthy fat that increases good cholesterol, balances blood sugar and hormones, and can improve you thyroid function. It also adds a fruity, sweet flavor to this dish, making it even tastier. Feel free to add chopped vegetables, shredded chicken, beef, or shrimp to the rice for a more protein packed meal.
- 3 shallots, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1 spicy red or green chili pepper, some seeds removed, minced
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 4 cups cooked brown rice, cooled (preferably day-old)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 4 eggs, fried, sunny side up
For the quick pickles, in a large jar combine ½ cup rice wine vinegar with ½ teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon honey, and ¼ cup water. Add 1 cup roughly chopped cucumbers, and allow to marinate for 30 minutes. Leftovers store well in the fridge for up to a week.
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind together the shallots, garlic, shrimp paste and pepper to a fine paste.
- Heat coconut oil in a wok or large heavy-bottomed pan, and stir-fry your spice paste for 2 minutes, until golden brown and fragrant, over medium heat.
- Push the spices to side of the pan, and pour the 3 eggs in. Quickly scramble them until they start to cook, then combine the eggs with the spice mixture.
- Add the rice, soy sauce, and honey. Stir-fry everything quickly over high heat, until everything is heated through and well combined (5-6 minutes).
- Check your seasoning, and add a bit more soy sauce if needed. Serve each person a bowl of the fried rice topped with a fried egg, and sprinkled with the chopped spring onion, with the quick pickles alongside.