Croatian Summer Heirloom Tomato Tart2 min read
Summertime in Croatia offers long sun-soaked days, balmy temperatures, and a bounty of fresh colorful produce. Tomatoes in particular shine, boasting sweet and mellow flavors, bright colors, and ample health benefits. Lycopene, the tomato’s health claim to fame, helps protect against cancer and cell decay, protects the functions of the heart, and gives the skin a healthy glow. Cooking tomatoes with olive oil, as in this tart, actually bolsters the lycopene and aids in its absorption. Enjoy this summery tomato tart all summer long, either as a simple appetizer on its own, or alongside a green salad and fresh fish as a balanced, deliciously healthy meal.
- 3 ½ tablespoons cold salted butter
- 3 ½ tablespoons low fat cream cheese
- 4 ½ tablespoons all purpose flour
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- About 5 small heirloom tomatoes, sliced into thin rounds (in different colors if possible)
- Fresh chopped thyme and basil to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil, lemon zest, salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the butter, cream cheese, flour, heavy cream, a pinch of pepper, and the fresh thyme. Using a pastry blender (or two butter knives) blend the wet ingredients into the dry until you have a rough dough. Form the dough into a ball, and cover in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- When the dough is chilled, press it out into a rough circle on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You want the dough about ¼ inch thick. Using your fingers, form a little raised edge around the dough. Using a fork or knife-point, prick a few holes into the crust.
- Arrange the tomato slices in a single layer on the dough. Sprinkle over a pinch each of salt and pepper, and a bit of chopped thyme and basil. Drizzle the whole tart lightly with extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 20-30 minutes, checking often. You want the edges of the crust to turn golden brown, and the tomatoes to caramelize slightly. Sprinkle with a bit of fresh herbs and lemon zest to serve, and enjoy!