Healthy Recipe: Czech Szriskes2 min read
This Czech version of chicken schnitzel is a traditional meal usually served at dinnertime. Normally fried in oil, this lightened up baked version gives you the same crispy, crunchy crust, without all the extra calories. Heart healthy olive oil helps the crunchy coating along, and provides beneficial monounsaturated fats. Serving these Szriskes alongside a peppery and fresh arugula salad, rather than the traditional potatoes, lightens and brightens the whole dish, and adds a boost of vitamins and antioxidants. The leftovers make excellent sandwiches the next day!
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into tenders
- 1 egg
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1 teaspoon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups arugula
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Fresh lemon wedges, to serve
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Using two sheets of parchment paper and the heel of your hand, pound the chicken tenders into thin sheets.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In one small bowl, whisk the egg with a pinch of salt and pepper, and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the panko with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Dip each piece of chicken first into the panko, than into the egg, and back into the panko, forming an even coating. Lay the chicken tenders on your prepared baking sheet, and drizzle with the 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Bake the chicken for 6 minutes, than flip each piece, and try to coat them in the oil. Cook for 4 more minutes, than broil on high for 1 minute until crispy and golden brown.
- In a bowl, mix the arugula with the cherry tomatoes, the teaspoon olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well.
- To serve divide the arugula salad between two plates, and top each with the chicken. Serve with lemon wedges.