Healthy Recipe: Zucchini Noodle Vegetable Lo Mein1 min read
This quick and easy dish satisfies all your cravings for greasy takeout, without any of the guilt. Zucchini noodles stand in for wheat noodles here, making for a light and healthy dish that’s low carb and full of good-for-you vegetables. To make zucchini noodles, you’ll need a spiralizer, which you can purchase for $12-25 online. It’s a worthwhile investment that you can use to turn all sorts of vegetables into delicious noodles.
Serves: 2 as main course
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced (try shiitake or button mushrooms)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 small handful thinly sliced kale
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 4 zucchini, turned into noodles with a spiralizer
- Cashews and sesame seeds, to serve (optional)
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the coconut oil, and add the scallions and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes, then add the mushrooms, carrots, and kale.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes, until the mushrooms are softened and the carrots and kale are tender. Add the soy sauce and the sesame oil, and stir well to combine.
- Add the red pepper flakes and the zucchini noodles, and cook for 4-6 more minutes. The zucchini noodles should be just tender, but still crisp and holding their shape. Serve immediately, and garnish with cashews and sesame seeds, if desired. Enjoy!