Healthy Recipe: Lightened Up Italian Wedding Soup1 min read
This lightened up version of the classic Italian Wedding Soup is packed with metabolism boosting protein and lots of healthy greens. You won’t even miss the pasta in this bright and flavorful soup.
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 1 egg
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup ground parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock (homemade, if possible)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2-3 handfuls fresh spinach
- ¼ cup ground parmesan cheese
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, to serve
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, mix the ground chicken, egg, panko, cheese, garlic, and fennel seeds with your hands until well combined. If it feels too wet, add a bit more panko and cheese until you have a consistency you can form into balls. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Roll the mix into roughly quarter size balls, and line them up evenly on the baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the meatballs are firm.
- In a large stockpot, add the stock and bring it up to a simmer. Add the meatballs and frozen peas, and cook for a few minutes. Add the fresh spinach, and turn off the heat. Let the spinach wilt into the soup, and stir to combine. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley if desired, and enjoy!