Healthy Recipe: Italian Sweet Potato Noodles1 min read
When you’re craving a satisfying Italian meal, but don’t want to load up on heavy pasta, turn to your spiralizer for a quick and easy fix. Available inexpensively online and in kitchen stores, a spiralizer will turn regular vegetables into faux-noodles, that will incorporate seamlessly into your cooking. Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A, beta-carotene, and fiber, and are delicious served with a homemade tomato sauce.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 10 oz. can tomato puree
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes, peeled
- Shredded mozzarella and fresh chopped basil to serve
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, and sauté for 3-4 minutes until starting to soften. Add the tomato puree and garlic, and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes, and add some fresh chopped basil off the heat to finish.
- Using a spiralizer, turn the sweet potatoes into noodles, and cook in a pan over medium heat with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add a pinch of salt and cook for 6-8 minutes, until tender but not falling apart.
- To serve, divide the noodles between two plates, and top with sauce, shredded mozzarella, and fresh basil. Enjoy!
Total Time: 25 minutes