Healthy Recipe: French Seared Scallops with Spring Fava Beans and Celery Root Puree2 min read
Classic French food doesn’t have to be all butter and heavy sauces. This healthy and satisfying recipe feels special enough to serve to company, but quick and easy enough for a weeknight dinner. Scallops are packed with low fat protein, and celery root offers a less starchy and more flavorful alternative to regular white potatoes. This recipe is easily doubled for a larger group.
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 6 scallops
- 1 celery root, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ cup shelled fava beans
- Salt and pepper
- Micro-greens and fresh chopped mint, to serve
- In a large pot, add the chopped celery root, and add just enough water to cover. Add the garlic cloves, and a pinch of salt. Bring up to a boil, and cook until tender, 8-10 minutes. Drain, and add to a high-speed blender with 2 tablespoons of your olive oil and a splash of water (2-4 tablespoons). Puree until smooth, adding a bit more water if needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and keep covered and warm while you cook the scallops.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat. Dry your scallops on all sides, then place into the hot pan, and allow to cook on one side for 1-2 minutes. Season on one side with salt, than flip each scallop to the uncooked side. Use a spoon to scoop the hot oil over each scallop, giving them a nice golden brown finish. Let cook for 1-2 minutes, then season with a pinch of salt, and remove from the pan.
- In the same hot oil, cook the fava beans for 1-2 minutes, until just tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- On a platter, spread the celery root puree in an even layer, than top with the scallops, and sprinkle over the fava beans, micro greens, and chopped mint. Season with a bit of fresh pepper, and enjoy!