Healthy Recipe: Thai Style Carrot Soup1 min read
This healthy carrot soup brings the bright and fresh flavors of Thai cuisine to an easy to prepare weeknight dish. Carrots pack a hefty dose of Vitamin A, which aids in cancer prevention, protects your vision, and gives your skin an anti-aging boost. Ginger acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory, helping to prevent disease and oxidation across the board. Make up a big batch of this delicious soup to enjoy all week long.
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 pound peeled carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh peeled and minced ginger
- 2-3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Thai style chili sauce
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coconut milk or Greek yogurt, to serve
- Fresh chopped basil, to serve
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the carrots, garlic, onion, and ginger, and cook, stirring often, for 15 minutes until the carrots are softened.
- While the soup is simmering, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. On a sheet pan, toss your chickpeas with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast until crispy, tossing often, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cups of the vegetable broth, the coconut milk, and chili sauce, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring up to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes. Puree the soup in a blender until totally smooth. Add the remaining 1 cup of vegetable broth if needed to thin it out. Return to the pan, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide the soup among 4 bowls, drizzle with coconut milk or Greek yogurt, and sprinkle with the chickpeas and chopped basil. Enjoy!