Healthy Recipe: Turkish Style Döner Kebab2 min read
Traditionally a Turkish dish, Döner kebab has become popular the world over, mostly as a late night street food. Normally cooked on a vertical rotisserie, this recipe allows you to make an equally delicious version at home. With a few simple tweaks, this recipe becomes healthier and lighter, while keeping its savory, satisfying flavor. Grass-fed meat contains more heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids, and packs more beneficial protein and iron, and less overall fat, than its corn-fed counterparts. And using Greek yogurt adds additional protein and calcium, making this meal super filling and satisfying. Put out all the toppings and let everyone build their own kebab.
- 1 pound lean grass-fed ground lamb or beef (organic if possible)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1 for skillet
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground sumac
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Tahini
- Shredded cabbage, pita, flatbread, or lavash, and cucumber slices, to serve
- In a bowl, combine the lamb, garlic, flour, olive oil, parsley, spices, salt, and egg, and mix well to combine.
- Preheat your broiler to the highest setting.
- In an ovenproof skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over high heat until almost smoking. Turn off the heat, and press the lamb mixture into a large pancake shape about ¼ inch thin, working quickly and carefully. Turn the heat back onto high, and let this cook for 4 minutes, then flip, drain the fat, and transfer to the oven.
- Broil in the oven for 3 more minutes until very crispy and browned. Remove from the oven, drain the fat, and transfer the lamb to a cutting board.
- In a small bowl, mix together the lemon juice, Greek yogurt, and tahini.
- To serve, slice the lamb thinly into strips, and cut the strips in half so they fit into your pita. Stuff the pita with lamb, shredded cabbage, and sliced cucumbers, and top with the yogurt tahini sauce. Enjoy!