Croatian Citrus Salad w/Feta & Crispy Quinoa52 sec read
Citrus features prominently in the coastal regions of Croatia, especially during the warm summer months. Bright and zesty orange and grapefruit balance perfectly with salty, creamy feta, and crispy quinoa adds texture and protein to the dish. Citrus fruits offer a multitude of health benefits. Vitamin C acts as a powerful antioxidant protecting the body from free-radicals, and flavonoids can help protect against heart disease. Serve this salad in the last few weeks of summer, accompanied by grilled fish or chicken to round out the meal if desired.
Serves 2 (easily doubled)
Total Time: 15 minutes
- ¼ cup cooked quinoa
- 2 oranges
- 1 grapefruit
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Fresh basil, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, to serve
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Spread the quinoa in an even layer on a baking sheet, and toast in the oven until dry and slightly crispy. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Peel the oranges and grapefruit, removing all the white pith. Slice out the citrus wedges and arrange them on a plate.
- Drizzle over some extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle over the crispy quinoa, basil, salt and pepper, and enjoy!