Greek Quinoa Salad1 min read
This healthy twist on the classic orzo salad swaps in protein packed, gluten free quinoa for the pasta for a lighter option. Lycopene rich tomatoes, fiber packed chickpeas, and immune boosting garlic and onions round out this superfood salad. The Greek Mediterranean diet is lauded for its health benefits, and Greeks are among the longest living populations in the world. A focus on vegetables, whole grains, fish, and olive oil give this lifestyle its longevity boosting powers. Lucky for us, these dietary tenants are easy to uphold wherever you live. For a more substantial meal, add some grilled salmon, shrimp, or chicken to this salad.
Total Time: 20 minutes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, cooled to room temperature
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ a red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup chopped cucumbers (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 handful arugula
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lemon, oregano, and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the quinoa, tomatoes, onion, cucumbers, chickpeas, and arugula.
- Mix in the dressing to taste, adding a bit more olive oil or lemon juice if needed. If possible, allow the flavors to meld at room temperature for 15-30 minutes. Enjoy!