Persian Grain Salad1 min read
This Persian-influenced grain salad packs a healthy punch with fiber-rich whole grains, and vitamin powerhouse butternut squash. Squash contains immune-boosting vitamin C, as well as eye-protecting beta-carotene to keep your vision sharp. Pomegranate seeds lend a kick of bright flavor and color, as well as a dose of antioxidants that’s three times more potent than green tea or red wine! Serve this salad alongside grilled salmon or chicken for a well-rounded and delicious meal.
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 small/medium size butternut squashed, peeled, seeded, and cut into bitesize cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup wild rice, cooked per package instructions
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup pistachios, chopped
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. On a sheet pan, toss together the squash, olive oil, cumin, cardamom, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 35-40 minutes, until tender and slightly caramelized.
- While the squash roasts, cook the rice per package instructions. When cooked, stir in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste, then set aside to cool.
- Put the pistachios on a sheet pan, and toast in the oven for 4-6 minutes, until warm and fragrant.
- When the squash is cooked, arrange it over the rice on a large plate. Top with the chopped herbs, pistachios, and pomegranate seeds. Serve while still warm. Enjoy!
hmmm sounds and looks delicious. I’m always on the look out for new healthy vegan dishes, I’m adding this one to my list!
Comments are closed.