International Recipe: Brazilian Acai Bowl with Spirulina1 min read
This powerhouse super-bowl filled with healthy goodness is the perfect way to kick off your new year on a nutritious and delicious note. Acai, a berry grown in Brazil’s Amazon rainforest, provide a bevy of antioxidants, amino acids, and essential fatty acids. Considered a beauty food, acai berries boost the health of your hair, skin and nails, and also bolster your immune system and energy levels. Spirulina, made from blue-green algae, is a superfood in its own right. It helps your body detox from heavy metals, rebalances your internal microflora, can lower cholesterol and blood pressure, and boosts your energy. With all these superfoods on your side, you’re sure to have a vibrant, healthy, and glowing new year!
Makes 1 bowl (easily doubled)
- ½ ripe banana, peeled
- 1 frozen unsweetened acai smoothie pack
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- 1 teaspoon ground spirulina (optional)
- ¼ – ½ cup unsweetened almond or hemp milk (or your favorite nondairy milk)
- Sliced strawberries, sliced banana, granola, honey or agave, bee pollen, hemp seeds, or whatever fruits you enjoy, for toppings
- In a high-speed blender (like a Vitamix), puree the banana, acai, strawberries, spirulina, and ¼ cup almond milk, adding more milk as necessary to achieve a smooth, creamy but still thick consistency.
- Pour the acai puree into a bowl, and arrange your toppings. Sprinkle over granola if using, and finish with a drizzle of honey and whatever other toppings you like. Dig in immediately before it melts!
Alternatives: Try adding 1 tablespoon of nut butter and 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder for a chocolate nutty treat. You can also try blending other varieties of frozen fruit with your acai. Try pineapple, raspberries, mango, and black or blueberries.