Healthy Recipe: Australian Sunshine Salad
This salad looks, and tastes like pure sunshine- no surprise from a country bathed in sunshine much of the year! Australian cuisine celebrates seasonal, fresh, local produce, and this salad is a perfect expression of that mentality. Feel free to adapt the components accordingly based on what’s seasonal and local for you. Be sure to hit up your local farmer’s market for the freshest local produce, eggs, olive oil, and honey. And if you want to make like a real Australian, add some sliced bananas and oranges to your salad- an interesting but very traditional combination!
Serves: 2 (easily doubled)
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 3 large handfuls fresh, local mixed greens
- 1 handful cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 handful radishes, quartered
- 2 small Kirby cucumbers, sliced into half moons
- 2 local eggs, hardboiled and peeled and halved
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry your greens and divide them between two bowls or plates. Arrange the tomatoes, cucumbers, and eggs around the greens.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, orange juice, mustard, honey, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Taste and add more acid or salt as needed.
- Add the sliced radishes to the dressing, and allow to marinate for at least 10 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Divide the radishes between the plates, drizzle over the dressing, and add an extra squeeze of lemon juice over the eggs if desired. Toss everything together lightly, and enjoy!