Healthy Recipe: Spicy Thai Chicken Soup2 min read
Creamy, savory, spicy, and comforting, this spicy Thai chicken soup incorporates classic Thai flavors in a veggie and protein packed dish. Ginger offers anti-inflammatory properties, and garlic boosts your immune system helping fight off infection. Mushrooms are a superfood in their own right, promoting immune function by increasing your body’s production of antiviral proteins. They also offer a plant based source of vitamin D and help fight free radicals and oxidation in the body. Make up a batch of this soup if you’re feeling under the weather, and consider it your first defense against cold and flu season!
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, sliced thinly
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 jalapenos, de-seeded to your spice preference
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups sliced shitake mushrooms
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4-6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 14 oz. can unsweetened low-fat coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoons fish sauce to taste
- 2 cups sliced sugar snap peas
- The juice and zest of 3-4 limes, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped cilantro and basil, to serve
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the coconut oil. Add the scallions, garlic, ginger, and jalapenos, and sauté for 2-3 minutes until starting to soften. Add the carrots and mushrooms, and sauté for another 3-4 minutes, until the mushrooms have started to caramelize and soften.
- Add the chicken breasts, vegetable broth, and coconut milk, and stir well to combine. Bring up to a boil, lower to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until the chicken has cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate and shred it.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the pot with the fish sauce, snap peas, lime juice and zest, and some chopped fresh herbs. Stir well, season to taste with more lime and a bit of salt if needed, and enjoy!
After making your spicy thai chicken soup, consider trying a healthy spicy thai papaya salad