Healthy Recipe: Turkish Chickpea Grain Salad1 min read
This bright and refreshing grain salad bowl comes together in fifteen minutes flat, making it perfect for those hectic weeknight dinners. Packed with plant based protein and fiber from chickpeas, healthy whole grains from the couscous, vitamin C from the lemon juice and tomatoes, and beneficial monounsaturated fats from the olive oil, this recipe is a health homerun. Feel free to top it with grilled chicken or salmon, crumbled feta cheese, or some grilled vegetables depending on your preference.
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 small handful chopped parsley
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 -15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Fresh lemon juice to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ a ripe avocado, pitted, sliced, and peeled
- Hemp hearts, to serve (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix together the couscous, cumin, paprika, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour in just enough boiling water to cover it, then cover the whole bowl with a plate and allow it to steam for 5 minutes.
- While the couscous steams, mix together the parsley, tomatoes, chickpeas, a squeeze of lemon juice, a splash of olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Taste it, and add more lemon, oil, salt, or pepper as needed.
- Use a fork to fluff the couscous, then mix in a drizzle of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Divide the couscous between two bowls, top with the tomato chickpea mixture, sliced avocado, and a sprinkling of hemp hearts if desired. Serve with extra lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!