Recipe: Norwegian Beet Soup1 min read
This ruby-hued soup looks as beautiful as it tastes, and comes packed with fresh Nordic flavors perfect for celebrating summer. Beets are rich in immune boosting vitamin C, and also deliver a healthy dose of fiber to keep your digestion moving. Dill, a mainstay in Norwegian cooking, provides calcium, iron, and anti-inflammatory and antiviral flavonoids giving your whole body a fortifying boost. Serve this dish hot or chilled, and consider adding some sautéed shrimp or crayfish to round out your meal.
Total Time: 1 hour (10 minutes active time)
- 8 medium size beets, trimmed
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ – 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ – ½ cup full fat yogurt, plus more to serve
- 1 shot vodka (optional)
- 3-4 sprigs fresh dill, plus more to serve
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In a baking dish, add the beets, garlic, and enough water to cover them ¼ of the way up. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, and cover the whole dish tightly with foil. Roast for 35-40 minutes, until the beets are knife-tender.
- Peel the beets, and transfer to a blender along with the garlic. Add the olive oil, 1 ½ cup vegetable broth, yogurt, vodka, and dill. Blend on high until smooth, adding more broth if needed to reach your desired consistency (you want the soup slightly thick). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, garnish with extra yogurt and fresh dill. Enjoy!
Note: This soup can be served warm, chilled, or at room temperature.