Recipe: Vegetarian Thai Curry2 min read
Sweet, spicy, and layered with delicious flavors, this Vegetarian Thai Green Curry is as tasty as it is healthy. Coconut milk provides healthy fats which help your body absorb all the nutrients from the vegetables, and ginger and garlic boost your immune system and combat inflammation in the body. Bamboo shoots can help balance cholesterol and are also anti-inflammatory. Tofu delivers a low-fat source of plant based protein, but feel free to substitute chicken or shrimp if you prefer. Make up a double batch while you’re at it- this recipe makes fantastic leftovers, and freezes well too.
Total Time: 35 minutes
Curry Paste Ingredients:
- 1 green Thai chili pepper, chopped
- 1 shallot, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 thumb size piece ginger, peeled
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems, chopped
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup or coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ cup water
Curry Paste Directions:
- Process the above ingredients in a food processor into a finely ground paste, and set aside.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 can light unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup seeded and chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 2 dried red Thai chili peppers (omit for a milder flavor)
- 1 can bamboo shoots, rinsed, drained, and sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup cubed extra firm tofu
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Fresh lime juice, to taste
- Thai basil, chopped, to serve
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil over medium heat. Add the prepared curry paste, and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add the coconut milk, and stir to combine. Bring up to a simmer and cook while you prepare the vegetables.
- In a separate skillet, heat the remaining coconut oil over high heat. Add the mushrooms, pepper, and zucchini. Cook stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes until the mushrooms are golden brown and the other vegetables slightly softened.
- Add these vegetables into the simmering broth, along with the dried chilies, bamboo shoots, tofu, and peas. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Season to taste with fresh lime juice, sprinkle over the chopped Thai basil, and enjoy!
Note: Serve over jasmine rice if desired.