Recipe: Salmon Provençal2 min read
This classic recipe from the South of France is bursting with bright flavors from ripe tomatoes, fragrant basil, and peppery arugula. It’s a dish you’ll cook over and over all year long. Salmon is a nutritional powerhouse, and packs ample amounts of anti-inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids, satiating protein, and heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. Olive oil also boasts similar benefits. The Mediterranean diet, which this recipe perfectly exemplifies, has been hailed as a key to a longer healthier life. Feel free to swap in any fresh, sustainable fish fillets you prefer.
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 wild caught salmon fillets (roughly 6-7 ounces each), pin bones and skin removed
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 basil leaves, chopped
- ½ cup chopped cucumbers
- 2 small handfuls arugula
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Flake sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Grilled bread, to serve (optional)
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the pan. Dry the salmon fillets on both sides, and season liberally on both sides with salt and pepper. Sear in the pan, undisturbed, for 2-3 minutes. Flip, and cook for another 2-3 minutes (depending on the thickness of your fillets), for medium. Remove from the pan to a towel lined plate to rest.
- While the salmon rests, cook the tomatoes. Wipe out your skillet of any remaining oil. Turn the heat under your skillet up to high, and add another tablespoon of fresh olive oil. Add the tomatoes and the garlic, along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 1-2 minutes, until just starting to soften slightly. Turn off the heat, and stir in the chopped basil.
- In a small bowl, toss together the cucumbers, arugula, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, the remaining tablespoon olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide the tomatoes evenly over each salmon fillet. Plate the arugula salad alongside, and serve with grilled bread if desired. Squeeze over a bit of lemon juice over the salmon and salad if desired. Enjoy!