Italian Zoodles with Clams2 min read
This riff on a decadent Italian classic allows you to indulge without the carb overload of regular pasta. Spiralized zucchini, also known as zoodles, stands in for spaghetti in this fast and delicious recipe. A nutrient dense food, zucchini boasts health-protecting antioxidants and phytonutrients including vitamins A and C, beta-carotene, folate, polyphenols, and fiber. Clams are a tasty source of lean protein, omega-3 fatty acids. and contain zinc which bolsters your immune system. This recipe is easily doubled and is perfect for entertaining.
Serves 2 (easily doubled)
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes (more or less to taste)
- 2 shallots, minced
- 15-20 littleneck or other small clams in the shell, scrubbed
- ½ cup dry white wine (substitute vegetable broth if you prefer)
- 4 zucchinis, spiralized
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped parsley, lemon zest, and grated parmesan cheese, to serve
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil and add the garlic, chili flakes, and shallots. Sauté until softened, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the clams and white wine, and stir everything to combine. Cover with a lid, and cook over medium heat for 6-10 minutes, until the clams have opened. Discard any clams that remain closed after cooking.
- Add the spiralized zucchini to the pot with the clams, and sauté for 2-3 minutes until just softened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the zoodles and clams between two bowls, and garnish with lemon zest, chopped parsley, and parmesan cheese, if desired. Enjoy!