Mexican Corn & Black Bean Lettuce Wraps with Guacamole2 min read
This vegan spin on classic Mexican ingredients tastes every bit as delicious as the traditional chips and dip combination with a double dose of healthy fruit and vegetables. Crunchy and fresh romaine lettuce acts as the perfect scoop for a satisfying blend of protein and fiber-rich beans, sweet corn, hydrating cucumbers, and antioxidant-packed bell peppers and tomatoes.
The healthy monounsaturated fats in simple guacamole recipe aid your body’s absorption of all the nutrients from the vegetables. Serve any leftovers with rice and grilled vegetables or meat, or layer them between tortillas with cheese for a delicious quesadilla.
Serves: 6-8 as an appetizer
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 4 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 seedless cucumber, diced
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro (more or less to taste)
- zest and juice from 1 lime (more or less to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt, to taste
- 1-2 heads romaine lettuce, to serve
- Guacamole, to serve (recipe below)
Simple Guacamole: In a large bowl, mash together 2 ripe avocados, 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, and lime juice and salt to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, corn, red onion, tomatoes, cilantro, lime zest and juice, cumin, and salt to taste.
- Cut the bottom 1/3 off the romaine lettuce, and separate the leaves. Arrange the leaves around the guacamole, and fill the lettuce cups with the corn and bean mixture. Garnish with extra cilantro if desired, and enjoy!
Recipe Notes: This can be made a day ahead- just adjust the seasoning as needed before serving, adding more salt or lime if desired.