Moroccan Spiced Red Lentil Dip2 min read
This delicious and decadent tasting dip is savory, smoky, sweet, and delicious on everything from crackers to sandwiches to roasted vegetables. Lentils are a protein powerhouse, packed with fiber, iron, and compounds that help stabilize blood sugar and lower cholesterol.
The Moroccan inspired spice mix for this dip included cinnamon, which acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory in the body and provides an antioxidant boost. Keep a batch of this dip in the fridge for when those afternoon snack cravings hit, and you’ll always have a healthy and delicious option!
Makes: roughly 2 cups
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sunflower seed butter
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Flaky sea salt, to taste
- Olive oil, fresh herbs, sunflower seeds, and ground cumin to serve (optional)
- In a small pot, cover the lentils with cold water and bring up to a boil. Cook, covered, for 10-12 minutes, until the lentils are soft and falling apart. Drain and add to a high speed blender.
- Add the garlic, vinegar, sunflower seed butter, tomato paste, maple syrup, and the spices to the blender with the lentils. Blend on high until completely smooth (you might have to scrape down the sides a few times to get it thoroughly mixed). Season to taste with salt if needed, and enjoy!