Vegetarian Mexican Tacos with Lime Crema 2 min read
For a lightened up twist on a comfort food favorite, this recipe swaps in nourishing vegetables for the often saturated fat heavy meat. Tacos are a mainstay in Mexican cuisine, and have been adapted and reiterated in every variety imaginable. This simple composition relies on a few quality ingredients to deliver big flavor and powerful nutritional benefits.
Corn and zucchini are both water and fiber rich vegetables, helping your digestion and boosting the satiety of this meal. Mushrooms can be considered a superfood for all that they provide, and lend a meaty flavor and texture to this dish. As a good source of protein, fiber, B vitamins, Vitamin D, polyphenols, and micro nutrients, mushrooms are a welcomed addition to any meal. Most of these nutrients are only available when you cook the mushrooms, so be sure to do so thoroughly.
Feel free to adapt this recipe to include your favorite vegetables and taco toppings.
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 ears corn, shucked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 zucchini, very thinly sliced into rounds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup sour cream or thick yogurt
- Zest and juice from 1 lime
- Tortillas, avocado, fresh lime, and fresh herbs (try cilantro), to serve
- Bring a large pot of water up to a boil. Add a tablespoon of salt, then add the corn. Boil for 2-3 minutes, then drain and set aside to cool.
- In a large pan, add the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped mushrooms, garlic, oregano, and cumin, along with a pinch of salt. Stir well to combine, and cook over a high heat for 5-6 minutes, until all the liquid evaporates from the mushrooms, and both the mushrooms and garlic are golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the sliced zucchini and a pinch of salt. Cook for barely 1 minute, just to soften slightly.
- Cut the kernels off the corn and set aside.
- Whisk together the sour cream and lime juice and zest to make the crema.
- To serve, let everyone build their own tacos with the fillings and toppings.