Vegan Brussels Sprout Caesar Salad2 min read
With Italian-American roots and conception in Mexico, the classic Caesar salad is beloved by diners the world over. This recipe showcases the classic recipe in a whole new way. Shredded brussels sprouts mixed with a punchy vegan Caesar dressing, offer a boost of vitamin C for your immune system, vitamin K for blood clotting and bone health, and fiber for a healthy gut and digestion.
Nutritional yeast gives this dressing its characteristic umami flavor and serves as an excellent source of B vitamins and vegan protein. Vegans and carnivores alike will flip for this creamy, crunchy, lemony, flavorful salad. Make up a double batch- it makes for delicious leftovers!
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo (or regular mayo if you’d just like this to be vegetarian)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers, minced, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- flake sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (optional)
- croutons of your choice (whole wheat, gluten-free, even cornbread!)
- 4 almonds, grated to serve
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, olive oil, lemon juice and zest, minced capers, nutritional yeast, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a larger bowl, massage the shredded Brussels sprouts with ½ the dressing to soften them slightly. Mix in the parsley and croutons, then transfer to a serving platter. Drizzle with the extra dressing to taste, then grate over the almonds with a microplane or zester to serve. Sprinkle over some extra capers, and enjoy!
Notes: Shred the Brussels sprouts with a food processor, or trim the ends, slice them in half lengthwise, then thinly slice them into half-moons.