Easy Homemade Hummus2 min read
This Middle Eastern favorite is a perfect healthy snack option to keep on hand. If social distancing or under-stocked stores have you unable to pick up your favorite pre-made hummus, this recipe makes it quick and simple to prepare your own from pantry staples you probably have on hand. Take this opportunity to try out delicious flavor mix-ins, which not only add to the flavor profile but also boost the health benefits of this already protein and fiber-rich recipe. You might never go back to store-bought hummus again!
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons tahini (swap in your favorite nut butter if you don’t have tahini, or omit)
- 1-2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-3 tablespoons cold water
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Optional flavor mix-ins: 1/3 cup roasted sweet potato, butternut squash, beets, or bell peppers, and/or extra roasted garlic
- Hemp hearts, flaky sea salt, and extra virgin olive oil, to garnish (optional)
- In a blender, add the chickpeas, garlic, tahini, vinegar, oil, cumin, and 1 tablespoon water.
- Blend on high until very creamy, adding more water if needed (the hummus will thicken slightly when refrigerated).
- Add any flavor mix-ins if using, blend thoroughly, then season to taste with salt and pepper, and a bit more oil or vinegar if desired. Enjoy immediately with your favorite veggies and crackers to dip, or as a sandwich spread. Refrigerate for a firmer texture if desired.