Korean Chicken Grain Bowls with Kimchi Cucumber Salad3 min read
These colorful and filling bowls pack a big nutritional punch along with a ton of bright, zesty flavors. Gochujang, a staple in Korean cooking, flavors this simple braised chicken, serving as a saucy counterpoint to a cool and crunchy kimchi cucumber salad. Kimchi, a Korean fermented cabbage, contains naturally occurring probiotics that strengthen the gut, reduce inflammation, lower cholesterol levels and contribute to a radiant complexion. Perfect for weekly meal preps, this dish comes together in a flash, especially when you start with already cooked chicken and grains. Just reheat the chicken in the braising sauce and dig in!
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ cup gochujang
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup tamari or soy sauce
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- In a deep skillet over medium heat, add all the ingredients except the lime juice and zest and mix well to combine.
- Bring up to a simmer and cover, cooking for 20-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Shred the chicken into the sauce, mixing in the lime zest and juice and seasoning to taste with salt and pepper if needed.
Kimchi Cucumber Salad Ingredients:
- 1 cup kimchi, chopped
- 1 thin-skinned cucumber, sliced into half-moons
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
Kimchi Cucumber Salad Directions:
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients to combine.
- Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes for the flavors to meld before serving.
- Sautée greens (try spinach, baby kale, mustard greens, bok choy, or any combination you like)
- Prepare 2 cups brown rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice or your grain of choice
- Slice scallions, to garnish
Divide the grains, chicken in its sauce, cucumber salad and sautéed greens between four bowls. Garnish with sliced scallions, if desired, and enjoy!