Sweet Chili Meatballs with Sesame Lime Sauce2 min read
These crispy, sweet-and-spicy oven-roasted meatballs are perfectly paired with a zingy sesame lime dipping sauce, making them the ideal springtime finger food. Chicken thighs are an excellent source of protein and contain more immune-boosting zinc and iron than white meat. Dark meat also contains greater quantities of metabolism-regulating B vitamins, making it an excellent addition to your healthy recipe rotation.
Makes about 12 meatballs
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound ground chicken thighs
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs or gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon tamari or soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce, divided
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (black, white or a mix)
- ¼ cup mayo
- 1 tablespoon sriracha (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Fresh limes and chopped cilantro, to serve
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the ground chicken, egg, panko, garlic, soy sauce, black pepper, 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Mix well to combine. If the mixture seems wet, add a bit more panko.
- Using your hands, form the meatballs so they are roughly the size of a golf ball. On a baking sheet, line up the meatballs so they’re evenly spaced, and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, turning a few times throughout. They should be golden brown in spots, and firm to the touch.
- While the meatballs are hot, transfer them to a large bowl, and pour over the remaining tablespoon sweet chili sauce, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and sesame seeds. Toss the bowl to coat all the meatballs evenly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, sriracha, remaining teaspoon sesame oil and lime juice.
- To serve, plate the meatballs, top with the chopped cilantro and arrange with the sauce and lime wedges. Enjoy!
Note: Any leftover meatballs and sauce make a delicious sandwich the next day.