Persian Kofta Harissa Flatbread with Quick Pickle Slaw 2 min read
A staple across the Middle East for centuries, you’ll find some variation of this recipe across much of the globe. This version utilizes ground chicken, for a lean source of protein, and employs harissa, a spicy, smoky blend of roasted peppers, chili peppers, garlic, cumin and lemon for a flavor and health boost. Spicy food can increase your feelings of satiety, and also has been linked to improving heart health and boosting metabolism. Reach for this quick recipe when you want a fast and healthy meal that’s full of color, spice and flavor.
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons harissa paste, plus additional ¼ teaspoon for sauce
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups shredded mixed cabbage and carrots
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 flatbreads
- ½ cup plain unsweetened yogurt
- Fresh chopped parsley and mint to serve (optional)
- In a large bowl, use your hands to gently combine the ground chicken, 2 teaspoons harissa paste and 1 teaspoon sea salt. Divide into six pieces and form them into a rough torpedo shape.
- Heat a large skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, then the kofta. Cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through.
- In another bowl, scrunch the cabbage mix with the vinegar and a pinch of salt and allow to pickle for a few minutes.
- For the sauce, whisk the yogurt with the remaining ¼ teaspoon harissa until you have a smooth texture.
- To serve, divide the cabbage slaw between the flatbreads, then put the kofta on top, and finally drizzle with the sauce and sprinkle with the fresh herbs. Enjoy!