Roasted Mushroom Shawarma Lettuce Wraps 2 min read
These lightened-up mushroom shawarma wraps provide all the smoky, savory flavors of the meaty street food favorite, while packing in lots of healthy vegetables, spices and herbs. Mushrooms are a veritable superfood, offering high levels of the antioxidant glutathione, which protects the body from stress and inflammation, and helps it heal after fighting off an illness. They also protect against neurological and heart diseases, and are rich in energy-boosting B and D vitamins. Lettuce leaves offer a nutrient-rich alternative to a wrap made from flour, and cucumbers add a hydrating and delicious crunch. If you have any leftover garlic yogurt sauce, it’s perfect for adding a kick of flavor to grain bowls or roasted meats and vegetables.
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 cups mushrooms (try cremini, Portobello, shitake or mixed wild mushrooms), cut into bite-size pieces (mushrooms will shrink with cooking)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste and preference)
- 2 heads bib or butter lettuce
- Harissa sauce
- Thinly sliced cucumbers
- Thinly sliced scallions
- Cilantro leaves
- Pomegranate seeds
- Garlic yogurt sauce (recipe below)
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. On a large baking sheet, toss together the mushrooms, olive oil, garlic, spices and salt, and spread into an even layer.
- Roast the mushrooms for 10-15 minutes, tossing halfway, until crisp and golden brown in places. Remove from the oven and set aside, allowing to cool slightly before adding to the lettuce leaves.
- To serve, arrange the lettuce leaves on a large platter, and fill each with a spoonful of mushrooms and a few cucumber slices. Drizzle with the yogurt sauce, and top with the scallions, cilantro leaves and pomegranate seeds, if desired.
- Serve with harissa sauce and yogurt sauce on the side. Enjoy!
Garlic Yogurt Sauce: In a small bowl, mix together 1 cup unsweetened whole milk yogurt, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1 finely minced garlic clove, and salt and pepper to taste.