Spiced Grilled Salmon and Flatbread with Greens3 min read
Popular throughout the Middle East, India, Italy and North Africa, flatbreads are a delicious and affordable way to stretch a meal and fill out your table. The yogurt in the dough is traditional in some countries and adds extra protein and calcium, making these more satiating. Pairing salmon, an excellent source of unsaturated omega-3 fatty acids, with a side of greens allows for maximum utilization of the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants in the meal. Your body needs fat to metabolize those nutrients, so this pairing gives you extra bang for your nutritional buck.
Total Time: 30 minutes (plus 1 hour dough rise time)
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1 heaped teaspoon dry active yeast
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for grilling
- ½ cup plain unsweetened Greek yogurt (or any other thick yogurt)
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh herbs (optional)
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- In a large bowl, combine the warm water with the yeast and allow to become bubbly and active for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, add the remaining ingredients and mix and kneed well with your hands until a smooth dough forms. Kneed for an additional five minutes, until your dough is elastic, adding a tablespoon or two more flour if it seems too sticky after kneading.
- Form into a ball, return to the bowl and cover with a dishtowel. Allow to rise for 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Coat a baking sheet with olive oil and form the dough into 4-6 rounds (you can make these bigger or smaller depending on your preference). Coat both sides in the olive oil, and set aside until grilling.
- To cook, grill the flatbreads for 1-2 minutes on each side, until nicely marked and firm to the touch.
- 1-10 ounce salmon fillet, skin on
- ¼ teaspoon ground smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 minced garlic clove
- Pinch salt and black pepper, to taste
- Combine all the ingredients listed above, and spread them evenly over the top side of the salmon.
- When ready to grill, heat the grill over medium-high heat and cook, skin side down with the lid closed, for 6-8 minutes. Remove to a plate to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- 1 tablespoon creamy tahini
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 handfuls mixed baby greens
- 1 thinly sliced cucumber
- In a large bowl, whisk together the tahini, oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Toss in the lettuce and cucumber, making sure everything is well combined. Enjoy!